Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I Much Wisdom Is Much Grief......

In much wisdom is much Grief
(Making Sense of Suffering)

Physical imperfections present all sorts of distractions relating to pleasure, pain, and fatigue.  But we are dual beings.  The finer part of us must get control of the coarser part before the two fuse together in resurrection.  The daily question is “Shall I do with my physical temple what God would ask?”

This earthly school offers us our finest hours, even on ordinary days.  The lab of the bitter cup teaches us to discern good from evil, polish from stain, living water from poison.  Our hearts develop perfect hearing and bearing.  Graduation with highest honors awaits every learner who wears the garb of flesh with patience and faith.

In much wisdom is much grief

The Lord gave Joseph Smith a sample list of troubles that might be permitted in the life of a righteous person, such as being hunted by bloodthirsty men, opposed by the forces of nature, or jailed unjustly. Then the Lord explained that trouble serves two purposes.

All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

Trouble teaches.  What did Joseph learn from his troubles?  Above all, he learned that “the God of my fathers delivered me out of them all, and will deliver me from henceforth.”  Serious trouble can give us serious experience.  Experience reveals the living God to be a faithful God.

But trials will only give us the knowledge necessary to understand the minds of the ancients.  For my part, I think I never could have felt as I now do, if I had not suffered the wrongs that I have suffered.

Trouble transforms.  We are here to do more than experience the goodness of God.  We must acquire it.

It seems to me my heart will always be more tender after this than ever it was before.

Because of the matchless ways it teaches and transforms, a mortal life rich with difficulty is the best educational bargain in eternity.  It fits us to be witnesses, heirs, and friends of God.  That is why it is worth the trouble.

SOMETIMES GOD CALMS THE STORM
SOMETIMES GOD LETS THE STORM RAGE
AND CALMS THE CHILD


LET HIMIn Much Wisdom Th

No comments:

Post a Comment